One of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals focuses on building a more sustainable economy including creating decent and good work that support living wages. Voi has shown its commitment to SDG 8 by creating green jobs that pay a fair wage in over 60 cities.
We were quick to walk away from the gig-economy model that dominates the micro-mobility sector. Our employees have formal contracts, they are hired and trained locally and we aim to give all workers – office and warehouse employees, junior and senior across our 11 countries – the same benefits including paid parental leave, transparent pay, representation and more. We are committed to inclusive hiring practices and safe, healthy and empowering working environments. We also work suppliers that do the same.
What we have done so far:
- Green jobs creation: 1000+ jobs created.
- Formal employment: 0 gig workers.
- In-house training: We have various training programs for our employees to foster career and skill development.
- Mentorship program: Our employees can participate in mentorship programs.
- Signatory of the UN Global Compact: our business practices abide by its 10 Principles.
- Supplier Code of Conduct: the code is based on the UN Global Compact’s 10 Principles and covers areas like human and labour rights, collective bargaining, health and safety and fair compensation.
- Improving access to education and employment for our users: 40% of our rides are taken from and to places of work and education. Accessible and affordable mobility is a key factor in social mobility.
- Local and clean manufacturing: Further shorten supply chains and support local manufacturing and local job creation by 2022.
- Social compliance: Help suppliers go above and beyond the standards of our Supplier Code of Conduct and perform regular third-party audits by 2022 (SDG 8.7 & 8.8).
- Mentoring: Develop and grow our internal mentorship programs for learning and development.
Did you know?
If you want to find out more about all our work with the UN Sustainable Development Goals, take a look back at our 2019 Sustainability Statement when we began aligning to the goals or look at our earlier blog posts on some of the other goals we are working with:
- SDG 9: Voi and sustainable industry, innovation and infrastructure
- SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG 13: Climate Action.
We’ve come a long way but there’s so much more to do.
This blog post is part of a series on how we work with nine of the 17 sustainable development goals. You can find the other blog posts in the series here:
SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
SDG 9: Sustainable Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
SDG 13: Climate Action
SDG 10: Reduced Inequalities
SDG 5: Gender Equality
SDG 3: Good Health and Wellbeing
SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals